Are you ready to “Change the World?” Does “Succeed as One Team” meet your definition of a key component to an amazing company culture? If “Acting with Integrity” and pursuing “Excellence in All We Do” motivate you to do your best work, then Hyliion may be the right fit for you.
Hyliion is looking for a Lead Engineer – Electrified Powertrain Controls to join our engineering team in Austin. We are seeking exceptionally talented individuals that are highly motivated to revolutionize the trucking industry, reduce the use of fuel and have some fun. You will be joining an experienced engineering team in the design, simulation, implementation, and testing of electric powertrain systems. In this role, you will be deeply embedded in the daily development activities including control system requirement definition, controls development, and testing. You will be leading the requirement definition, design, and development of supervisory controls for hybrid and EV vehicles.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of Hyliion’s hybrid controls and software for Class-8 truck applications.
- Develop and test new software for Hyliion’s powertrain and drivetrain solutions to deliver industry leading performance and vehicle range.
- Develop hybrid and range extender control strategies.
- Develop requirements, interfaces, and supervisory control algorithms for torque path, thermal, high voltage controls, functional safety, and other functions.
- Ensure on time delivery with quality.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, (age), status as a protected veteran, or disability.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Engineering or equivalent.
- 4-7 years of experience in relevant engineering roles.
Specialized knowledge/Professional Certifications (preferred)
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Engineering or equivalent
- Good understanding of the V-model
- Experience with software requirements management.
- Experience with Atlassian tool suite (Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket).
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink or C.
- Vehicle and powertrain control algorithm development and calibration.
- Hybrid/electric torque path, thermal, or HV architectures.
- Experience with software testing environments such as MiL, SiL, HiL, and vehicle.
- Experience with Controller Area Networks (CAN) and Vector tools.
- Classical and modern control disciplines.
- Knowledge and experience with major automotive or Class 8 systems.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with ETAS and MDA.
- Ability to work safely in vehicles, labs, etc.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Proven ability in managing multiple projects, priorities, and assignments with accountability.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbally.
- Position will require travel to lead environmental development test trips, support supplier technical reviews, and evaluate system performance. Ability to travel up to 15-20%.
Key Attributes and Demonstrable Values include:
- People Centered
- Shared Ownership & Accountability
- Continuous Improvement mindset
- High Integrity
- Ethics & Compliance
- Safety Mentality
- Other duties as assigned may be assigned as required for this role.
- Occasionally lift and/ or move up to 30 pounds.
- Medical Plans, with PPO or HDHP options
- Dental Plans, with buy-up option
- Vision Plan
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Plans, with buy-up options
- Short Term Disability, paid for by the company
- Long Term Disability, paid for by the company
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Voluntary Accident Plans
- Voluntary Critical Illness Plans
Hyliion is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.