Are you ready to “Change the World?” Does “Succeed as One Team” meet your definition of a key component to an amazing company culture? If “Acting with Integrity” and pursuing “Excellence in All We Do” motivate you to do your best work, then Hyliion may be the right fit for you.
Hyliion is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer supports the development, integration, and validation of the KARNO generator. This key role is based in Cincinnati Ohio and will execute the design of assigned products using sounds engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements. This work may include mechanical and/or electrical engineering for all products.
Duties and responsibilities
This position will be primarily responsibilities include:
- Ownership of hardware components and/or sub-systems from all avenues including functionality, durability, manufacturability, serviceability, cost, weight, validation, etc.
- Collaborate with design, electrical, software, and performance teams to generate robust designs.
- Conduct tech reviews to present findings and propose solutions for any identified conflicts. Manage trade-off discussions and engineering decisions.
- Build, test, and validate prototypes early and often to tease out flaws in design.
- Support the design checking process by reviewing prints and ensuring tolerances, processes and material specifications are aligned with the Hyliion product design guidelines.
- Support the identification and selection of suppliers to support prototype and production needs.
- Support the purchasing process to and assist in the procurement of hardware from key suppliers as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 7+ years of work experience in engineering field
Specialized knowledge/Professional Certifications (preferred)
- Master’s degree in Engineering
- 3 years in automotive, aerospace, or medical device industry
- Proficiency in ASME Y14.5 GD&T Standard
- Experience in fluid/thermal systems design and optimization.
- Expert in NX 3D CAD tools with a history of creating 2D prints with associated GD&T. Ability to design complex mechanical systems.
- Experience in structural and thermal FEA toolsets such as ANSYS.
- Vehicle electrification experience including motor, inverter, battery systems and general electrical hardware knowledge is a plus.
- Highly collaborative personality with a willingness to learn and adapt involving interaction with adjacent functions to solve complex issues.
- Experience in lab testing environments including installing, calibrating, and reading various forms of instrumentation for pressure, temperature, flow, strain, acceleration, etc.
- Ability to design and troubleshoot complex mechanical and thermal systems.
- Ability to effectively and positively communicate verbally and in writing with customers (internal and external), to address their needs promptly and to follow through on commitments.
- A self-starter with good problem solving and good communication skills, excellent numeracy and spatial awareness.
- Willingness to travel: Position may involve travel visiting engineering providers and hardware suppliers (10%).
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite.
Key Attributes and Demonstrable Values include:
- People Centered
- Shared Ownership & Accountability
- Continuous Improvement mindset
- High Integrity
- Ethics & Compliance
- Safety Mentality
- Occasionally lift and/ or move up to 30 pounds.
- Medical Plans, with PPO or HDHP options
- Dental Plans, with buy-up option
- Vision Plan
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Plans, with buy-up options
- Short Term Disability, paid for by the company
- Long Term Disability, paid for by the company
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Voluntary Accident Plans
- Voluntary Critical Illness Plans
Hyliion is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.